The Oxford dictionary defines the word superhero as 'a benevolent fictional character with superhuman powers'. While most consider a power to be something along the lines of invisibility or flying, the supers I'm thinking of had a much different set of skills & I'm not talking Liam Neeson type skills either. This lot had more attitude that Catwoman & Wonder Woman combined, whilst their killer legs & figures left men weak at the knees. I'm talking about the 90's Super's.
These ladies were a collective of supermodels that stormed their way through the fashion industry, creating some of the most iconic campaigns that dominated every magazine & billboard of the time. They were the hottest girl gang on the block, glamorous & fierce, with every man wanting them & every woman wanting to be them - hell, I still pray every night that I'll wake up with a body like Herzigova's & a face like Crawford's.
If you're familiar with Cara & Kendall but don't recognise the two names I just mentioned then shame on you - these women paved the way for all of today's models! Have no fear those as Hannah's here to teach you all a lil somethin'-somethin' about 10 of the top throwback fashion heroes:
1. Christy Turlington - Discovered at just 14 years old, Christy became huge after representing Calvin Klein & became part of the 'Trinity' with Naomi & Linda. She now runs a maternal health organisation, Every Mother Counts (compassionate & beautiful, double threat!)
2. Claudia Schiffer - This German goddess was the original Guess? jeans girl & was appointed by Mr Lagerfeld himself to be the face of Chanel.
3. Naomi Campbell - One word: fiesty. Like seriously, don't get on the wrong side of Naomi. Probably the most well-known of the bunch, she was part of the 'Trinity' & leader of 'The Big Six' with her statuesque physique & sharp-as-knives cheekbones.
4. Linda Evangelista - Famously immortalized after telling Vogue "We don't wake up for less than $10,000 a day" Nicely put Lyn, wish I had this luxury! Props to photographer Peter Lindbergh for convincing her to bob her hair.
5. Cindy Crawford - Also part of 'The Big Six', Forbes named her the highest paid model on the planet in '95. She was like a brunette Marilyn Monroe with her trademark mole & curvaceous figure.
6. Eva Herzigova - GIRL CRUSH ALERT! In fact I think after her groundbreaking Wonderbra ad, if you don't have a crush on Eva then you're not normal. I mean, look at her! (I'd just like to point out that I am not a lesbian, however for Eva...)
7. Kate Moss - Built like a wafer with boyish features, Croydon's very own Ms Moss was actually penned as the 'anti-supermodel', contrasting the curvier cover girls.
8. Elle Macpherson - Model, actress, businesswoman...I wonder if Elle also states on her CV that she's nicknamed, 'The Body' following her infamous Sport Illustrated cover. I know I would!
9. Tyra Banks - Model, actress, singer, businesswoman, author, TV host. Damn, Tyra's CV even rivals Elle's. She might not be called 'The Body' but she did book 25 catwalks during her first season alone.
10. Kristen McMenamy - The biggest individualist of the 90s, many criticized her androgynous look but those who did were basically told to suck it when Karl Lagerfeld walked her down the aisle at her '97 wedding.